To get rid of germs on your hands, you should make sure you’re washing properly.
The World Health Organization offers these handwashing guidelines:
- Get your hands completely wet, then squirt enough soap to cover the entire surface of your hands.
- Rub your hands together palm to palm, then rub palms over the backs of the opposite hands.
- Rub palms together with fingers laced, then bend fingers and interlock palm to palm to scrub.
- Grasp one thumb with the palm of the opposite hand and scrub, then do the same with the opposite.
- Rub the fingers of each hand back and forth on the opposite palm.
- Rinse hands thoroughly, dry hands with a clean towel and use the towel to turn off the faucet.