The best remedy for mosquito bites – including those that transmit disease – is to prevent them in the first place. Use these tips to help stay bite-free this summer:
- Stay indoors at dusk when mosquitoes are out and about.
- Cover up by wearing loose-fitting, long-sleeved tops, and tuck long pants into your socks.
- Stay away from black and white fabrics, which seem to drive the bugs wild.
- Turn on an outdoor fan – the wind can help keep the bugs at bay.
- Try oils such as soybean oil, and mixtures of essential oils, such as pennyroyal oil and eucalyptus. These are moderately effective if you’re not dealing with really thick swarms of mosquitoes.
- In places like Alaska, Canada or the northern Midwest, where mosquitoes can be overwhelming, regularly apply insect repellants containing geraniol, a plant-derived compound, or neem oil, from the Indian tree Azadirachta indica.